Friday, April 25, 2014

Mother's Day Scarf Pin Tutorial

 
Hey there Paper Peeps! It's Ginny here and I'm just dropping in to share a fun and easy tutorial to whip up some great little flower, lace, and burlap scarf pins. These make great little gifts for Mother's Day too! Make up a bunch of these cuties to have on hand and you'll be ready with a thoughtful handmade gift whenever you need one. Did I mention they're easy????


Isn't that shabbylicious??? I think it would be pretty cute on a hat too!!!
Okay...let's get started:
I have 9 artificial fabric flowers....nothing to write home about....but I like the size and shape. I used my blending tool and Victorian Velvet Distress Ink to give them some color. Next I added some Liquid Pearls in Bisque to the outer edges. While it was still wet...I sprinkled on Martha Stewart fine clear glitter.  You can also add a little Walnut or Gathered Twig Ink to antique it like I did in the finished pin.  You will also need some flower stamens....these I found in the cake decorating section. I layered three flowers and added three stamens to the center of each.
Cut a circle from chipboard or other stiff backing material. I used an antique file folder since they are very thick and sturdy.  Pierce a hole in the center. Trim Burlap from the wired edge and cut a scalloped shape on one side. Pinch pleat and hot glue the burlap around making sure to cover the outside edge of the circle. Add a layer of Crocheted Lace trim next pinch pleating the same as you did with the burlap. This took 2 layers of each for the size of circle and flowers I chose....you may like more or less layers.
Begin pulling the stamens from the flowers through the center hole of the chipboard circle. You'll want to add all three flowers before you secure the stamens on the back.
I just squished the stamens into slightly cooled hot glue....still hurt : (  You could also use a wet adhesive like E 6000 if you're squeamish about burning yourself. Add the pin back now. I found them at the big box craft store...very inexpensive for a fairly large package. These came with an adhesive strip....but I don't trust that adhesive....so I added hot glue before securing it to the pin.


Once you have everything secured....give the burlap a little haircut to remove any stray stringy bits and be sure to check for glue strings before gifting it to someone special : )
 Okay I hope I've inspired you to create lot's of these to give to brighten someones day! I'm wishing you a happy and productive day with lots of time to be creative : ) G



8 comments :

  1. Those are beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful Ginny. I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Ginny, these are beautiful!!! I LOVE me some vintage charm and these are oozing with it!!! How fabulous! I'm off to search for some burlap!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute and what a great idea.... Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty and will last Mom forever as apposed to real flowers great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous...and clever...and as you said, easy to do. Even I could do this! Absolutely fabulous tutorial, Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this flower, thank you for the tutorial. I think my mom would like it!! I might just have to give it a try! Tfs Patricia B

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say